18 December 2013

DIY The Trend

I find myself at the end of 2013 with a lot of cooped up creative energy. For 11 months of the year the left side of my brain has been in overdrive, with completing my last level of CFA and starting as a business analyst on a very demanding project, it’s no surprise the thing is fried. I can’t help but give in to every creative whim this December. Like, I may or may not have bought 8 rolls of ridiculously overpriced Washi tape in one go and then Washi taped everything in sight. What can I say, Christmas time affords me the opportunity to get a little wild and crazy. So while I’m on a roll, I decided to tackle some DIY projects. Taking things to the next level, you know.



Inspiration for this project was not very difficult to come by, whether seen on the runways or seen on my fellow bloggers, embellished sunglasses were constantly in my face. Being the trend junkie that I am, I wanted them ON my face so I decided to make a pair and here is how;


The sunglasses I decided to glamify accompanied my December 2013 issue of Elle magazine. Thanks Elle! The embellishments I chose were originally buttons, I merely cut off the shank of the button to ensure a flat surface. Choosing your sunglasses and embellishments is probably the hardest part of the process.


After you’ve decided on a look and found everything you need, don’t be hasty and start gluing everything together. Instead, use prestik to first plan the positioning of the embellishments. This step is imperative in order for you to minimalise the risk of nervous twitching brought on by a skew alignment.

  
Once you are happy with the placement of the detailing, remove the prestik and start gluing the embellishments onto the sunglasses.


Finally - voila, you can rock the trend. Follow me on Instagram and I’ll post a snapshot of me enjoying my sunnies poolside. When I eventually get alongside a pool that is!


If this all seems like a little too much effort then you can of course just go and buy a pair of beautifully decorated sunglasses. My pick would have to be these stunners from TopShop for R299. I fell in love with them the moment I saw Irina from I’ll take it all wearing them for one of her OOTD posts. So fab!

Let me know what you guys think, I would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

 
Seams and Silhouettes © 2015.

Design by The Blog Boat